Thursday, July 30, 2009

Good Morning!

Figured I'd drop a line to anyone who may actually be reading this regarding an oldie but a goodie that has once again brought itself into the light.

Dungeons & Dragons Online

DDO experienced a rather fouled up release (as do most mmo's) by sending the incorrect keys out with preorders collectors editions vrs normal release edition. Essentially, if you had the normal version, you got the preorder goodies because the keys were switched. Meaning, if you ordered the special version, you got NADA as you had a normal key in the package. To my knowledge, though they did eventually fix this by giving the "special" customers what they originally paid for, it just took a couple weeks into release and ultimately we paid extra for nothing as all the normal boxes got the same shit we did. Also, by the time we got our goodies, they were of course useless due to being a level 1-3ish quality item.

Now, by my account I feel I got poked in the butt as my gameplay experience never even began to make up for the money I had thus far invested in the game. I canceled before I was billed for a month.

Flash forward to 2009! DDO is going free to play! Thats right, soon you will be able to check'er out in all her glory. My thoughts?! Well, thanks for asking! I'm thinking maybe now I can finnaly get my moneys worth and enjoy what I never had time to in the day. Also, this way i can finnaly run more than a single character in DDO, because this game was sure as hell never worth paying for more than one account.

But hey, maybe I'm comming off with the vibe of "why the fuck would you even suggest this game?!?!"

Good Question!

DDO is a good game, if you really played D&D(or turn out to be partial to the playstyle) than you may find it can be quite enjoyable. The reasons I found it pointless in the begining were largely due to extremely limited initial content , like a level cap of 10 and only a few dozen quests even available at the time! While levels in this type of game are much more meaningfull than in any other mmo I've yet played it was still a rather paltry release content for the day & age it came out. Though for "free" those things are very much worth playing through and enjoying.

My only question remaining is thus, Turbine intends to lock much of the content. They have so far claimed that "froob" players will be able to reach max level but not a whole lot more than that. Will they lock content that was part of the original release? I've read that the Warforged race will be locked, which answers that as a yes since that was one of the key races available as a selling point of the game(though wasnt available exactly at release.)

Ether way, anyone who ever played D&D should give DDO a try once its free, you might even find it worth sinking a couple bucks into for some extras.

No comments:

Post a Comment